Jenny Story Age 9 – Emily A.
“Mom, can I go on a bike ride with Gordon?” Jenny asked.
“Yes, you can, honey, if you will change your skirt. That skirt has too many ruffles and laces and is too full to wear for bike riding.”
“Okay, Mom. See you later.”
As Jenny went upstairs, she thought about what skirt to put on. She remembered her best bike riding skirt was in the laundry. “I don’t have anything else to wear,” she thought. “Maybe if I’m really careful, I can just wear this skirt.” She called out the open window to Gordon, “I’ll get a water-bottle, but could you get out my bike, please?”
“Sure, I can, Jenny,” was Gordon’s reply.
Jenny quickly made a water-bottle and rushed out the door calling to Mother on the way, “Goodbye, Mom.” Jenny was glad Mother was in the sewing room in the back of the house and couldn’t see her leaving.
Jenny and Gordon walked to the street and then waited for an opening in the traffic. After they got their bikes across the street, Gordon asked Jenny, “Where would you like to go, Jenny?”
“I’d like to go to the steep hill so we can go down really fast!” Jen answered.
“Do you mean the Lampherd Hill?” Gordon asked.
“Yeah, wouldn’t it be really fun?”
Gordon led the way for several blocks. Then they were at the top of Lampherd Hill. It was a very steep hill!
“This is going to be so fun. I am going to go down the hill very fast,” said Jenny. As she started out, the ride was kind of slow. Then Jenny went so fast that she felt like she would never stop.
“Jenny, look out! Your dress is caught!” cried Gordon.
Jenny looked down and her skirt WAS caught. “Oh, no! What should I do?” she thought.
Jenny put on her brakes as fast as she could. The bike finally stopped. The lace and ruffle was torn and wound around the gears. Gordon stopped beside her, and helped. When they got her skirt untangled, it was ripped terribly and had black grease marks on it.
“Gordon, should I walk home? It’s not too far.”
“I think that you should ride back home slowly, just hold your ripped skirt up.”
“Ok.” So Jenny got on her bike and arranged her skirt under her so that none of it was hanging near the gears. She rode slowly and kept looking down to see if there was a problem. When they got home, they put the bikes away and went inside.
“Jenny, Gordon, are you home?” Mother called from the kitchen when she heard the door.
“Yes, Mother, we’re home,” they said in unison. They went into the kitchen and Mother saw Jenny’s skirt.
“What happened, Jenny? I thought I told you to change your skirt before you went riding.”
Jenny very sadly explained, “I thought since my riding skirt was in the laundry, I would be careful and just wear the skirt I had on, Mother. I’m so sorry I did not listen to you and obey you. I could’ve gotten the skirt out of the laundry and worn it anyway. Please forgive me, Mother.”
Mother had a sad look on her face. “Well, I’m sorry that your skirt got caught, Jenny. Now you know why I wanted you to change. I’m glad you weren’t hurt. You could have flown off the bike and gotten injured badly. You can go up to your room and change. Then bring your skirt down here and I will try to mend it this evening. I do forgive you, Jenny.”
“Thank you so much, Mom!” and Jenny flew up the stairs. Mother smiled and shook her head.
Thursday, January 11, 2007
Jenny Age 9
Posted by
Beth
at
6:00 AM