Thursday, January 4, 2007

Jenny Age 16

Jenny Story Age 16 – Audrey S.

16-year-old Jenny walked in the door.
“Jenny, is that you?” her mom called out.
“Yes, It’s me, mom,” Jenny replied, sounding very down. Her mom walked in from the kitchen wiping her hands.
“What’s the matter, Jenny?” she asked. “You sound as if you have something on your mind.”
“Oh Mom, the kids at school are teasing me,” Jenny said.
“Why?” her mom asked.
“I won’t go hang out with them when they go hang out in all their weird places,” she answered.
“They want me to go out late at night and hang out with them. They called me names when I said I had to be home. I tried to invite them to church instead but they laughed at me and walked away. Mom, I don’t know what to do,” Jenny finished.
“Jenny, I’m glad you didn’t give in to peer pressure. It’s hard sometimes,” Mom said.
“Mom, what’s peer pressure?” Jenny asked.
“Peer pressure is when someone tries to get you to do something they want. Sometimes they try to get you to do something you know you shouldn’t,” her mom replied. “Jenny, you have to keep praying God will give you strength to stand against them. You also have to keep asking them to church although it may seem useless.”
Jenny, who was feeling a lot better, said, “Ok, mom. Thanks.”
The next day at school Jenny saw the same kids that usually teased her. Jenny prayed a quick prayer as they walked over.
“Oh, there’s Jenny, who won’t hang out with us,” one of the kids teased.
“I wonder if she will now?” another said.
“Jenny, will you hang out with us now or do you have to be home?” they asked.
“No,” Jenny said firmly. “I won’t hang out with you. But if you want to come to church with me, I’d be glad to take you.”
“There she goes with that church thing again.” They laughed and walked off.
Jenny felt defeated. Standing to the side was a girl who had been with the group but had not said anything. She walked over. “My name is Melissa,” she said. “What is so different about you? You keep inviting them to church even when they keep refusing you. Why?”
Jenny replied, “God gives me strength to stand up to them and keep asking them to go.”
“Maybe going to church isn’t so bad after all if it means being able to stand up to them. I’d like to learn more,” Melissa said.
Jenny smiled and knew that her asking wasn’t useless after all. So she took Melissa to church and she got saved all because Jenny didn’t give up. They became good friends, too.
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 16 – Janet A.

One day Jenny met her friend, Bethany, for ice cream. Bethany wanted to talk about her family’s recent vacation to Missouri. Jenny was interested in what they had done on their vacation.
Bethany said, “You know we went to Missouri especially to celebrate my parents’ 25th anniversary, right? Most of what we had planned was a surprise.
My married brothers and their wives had planned everything. They rented a fancy sports car for my parents to drive, and they had to follow us in the van
we were in. They didn’t know where we were going!”
Jenny asked, “Did they have a hard time keeping up with you in traffic?”
Bethany answered, “They did get behind a few times when the light would change after we went through and they had to stop. But we would wait up for them and call them so they knew where to find us. We first went to a restaurant. It was one my parents had always wanted to go to and had never afforded it. Then we drove on to Branson. We knew they would like to go there because they went there
on their honeymoon.”
“What did you do in Branson?” Jenny asked.
“Well, we went to a quilt shop and we all really enjoyed looking at the quilts. We went to an ice cream store. That was yummy. But the main thing was a play we went to that was really great with all the sound effects and animals! It was a play about Noah. It had such a good gospel message at the end. After that, we surprised them with the paper work they needed to stay in a cabin for 2 nights and a day!!”
“Wow! How did they react to that?” Jenny exclaimed.
“The first thing they said was that they didn’t have their clothes or toothbrushes along with them. They didn’t know that I personally had packed everything they needed and it was in the van with us!! They were happy and blessed about it. They had a good time being alone together and relaxing and doing some things together the next day. We didn’t see them again until Saturday morning when they got
back with the rental car.”
“What did you do when they were gone?” Jenny asked.
“Well, we ate and then drove back to my brother’s house. The next day was packed full of activities getting ready for the party we had planned for Saturday. We had to shop for food, and then cook meat and chop vegetables, and decorate. We had the party at my aunt’s church and did all of the cooking there too. It was a great facility and we had a lot of
fun working together with each other and my aunts. There were some relatives and some old friends that came to the party and everybody had such a good time together. One of my aunts had brought the wedding dress Mother wore. It was really another aunt’s dress that she borrowed to get married in. I think that meant a lot to my mother to see that dress
there when she arrived! My cousin made a beautiful cake. We had lots of food, ‘way more than enough and it was all yummy. My parents wanted to have a vow renewal ceremony to be an encouragement to others to value their marriage and keep committed to
each other. It was beautiful. And afterwards, each of us kids talked about Mother and Daddy and their marriage and our upbringing. It was really special.”
“It sounds really special. I’m glad you could do it for them. I’m sure they were blessed by it,” Jenny said.
“Oh, they were blessed. They couldn’t believe that we did all that and didn’t go into debt about it. We all put money in and paid for everything. It was a totally different kind of vacation, but so worthwhile,” Bethany said. “But here I have been totally monopolizing
the conversation. What have you been doing lately?”
“Just the usual: school, babysitting, cleaning house, church, sleeping. Nothing really exciting going on. But I do need to run on home. I know Mother will be wanting me to help her with supper,” Jenny replied.
“Thanks for having ice cream with me and listening to all my chatter, Jenny. I’ll see you at prayer meeting!
"Okay. Bye, Bethany!"
Jenny went home feeling all torn up inside. She was happy for Bethany and for her family and for their wonderful 25th anniversary party. But that would never happen for her family. Her daddy was dead, killed in Iraq last year! Why did it have to happen? she wondered for the millionth time.
As she came in the house, her mother looked up and smiled. “Hi, Jenny. Did you have fun with Bethany?”
“I had fun until I was coming home and got to thinking about things.”
“Sit down with me and tell me what you mean, Jenny,” Mother requested.
“Well, Bethany’s family just got back from a wonderful vacation where they did so many nice things for her parents’ 25th anniversary. They were able to honor them, surprise them, and bless them in many ways.”
“Okay, that sounds wonderful. So what happened to you on the way home?”
“Mother, we will never be able to do that for you and Daddy. Daddy is gone, and we will not see him again until heaven. We can’t have a 25th anniversary party for you. It just makes me so sad. It is so unfair that we can’t honor you and Daddy like that. You had a wonderful marriage and were wonderful parents and loved each other so much and would have been a wonderful example of commitment. So how is it fair that Daddy is gone and we can’t ever do
what Bethany’s family did?”
“Honey, are you forgetting the verse we memorized last week? ‘2 Corinthians 10:12: For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.’ Maybe this situation isn’t exactly what the context would be, but I think it says pretty plainly that we should not compare ourselves to others or measure ourselves to
others, because it is not wise. There are several reasons why we shouldn’t. Can you think of one?”
“Well, we could think ourselves better than someone else, but that is not what I’m doing, Mother,” Jenny responded.
“The thought I had was that it is so easy to get discontented with our lot in life, and even get resentful against God, besides jealous of others, if we don’t compare favorably with others. God treats us all differently, but lovingly, and we should not entertain the devil’s notions that God is treating us unfairly. That was how Adam and Eve got into trouble, because the devil convinced them that God was withholding something from them unfairly. Do you understand, dear?”
“Oh, yes, Mother. I see now that the devil was influencing my thoughts to make me angry at God and jealous of my friend, Bethany, and her wonderful family time. I am so sorry I listened to the devil. Thank you for helping me to see it right away, Mother.”
“Let’s pray about it, Jenny. I am thankful that you are willing to share your heart with me and not hide what you are going through. That way we can get things cleared up right away before the devil gets a foothold.”
Mother and Jenny prayed together, asking God to wash away the hurtful thoughts and to keep them trusting His ways, even when they didn’t understand.
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 16 – Brenda S.

(Jenny is at Friday Night Youth group service at her church.)
“Be quiet everyone!” announced Bro. Hunt, “We have a special guest here to tell you all something you might be interested in. We are very pleased to have Bro. and Sis. Paul Masters here with us and they are going to be taking a youth group to a foreign country this summer. Let’s listen as they tell us all about it.”
Jenny sat in her chair dumbfounded as Bro. and Sis. Masters came to the microphone. This is what she had been thinking and praying about. What could she do for the Lord?
Bro. Masters began talking, “As Bro. Hunt said, we are taking a group of young people to Ukraine this summer to help a missionary family over there. We will be there for two weeks, helping in every way we can. While we are there we will be helping with two Vacation Bible Schools, and a revival. We can only take eight kids, so you will have to fill out an application to go. Only those over 15 years of age are eligible to go. The cost of the trip is $1,500 and you will need to get your own passports separately. My wife and I are so excited about this trip and what we can do for the Lord. We know this trip is costly for many of you; but we ask that you go home and talk to your parents; but most of all we would ask that you pray. Thank you for your kind attention; and we are looking forward to having some of you on this trip.”
Bro. Hunt then dismissed with prayer.
“Please come to me for an application if you are interested,” said Bro. Hunt as everyone started talking excitedly.
But Jenny wasn’t so loud. She was thoughtful as she went home. How would she ever earn enough money?
That night she went into her Mom’s room. As she slowly sat down on her mom’s bed, she asked, “Mom, would you ever let me go on a missions trip?”
“Oh, Jenny, I would love for you to go on a missions trip, but how would you earn enough money?”
“I know that God will help me find a way. I think this is something Dad would have wanted me to do.”
Jenny was thrilled when she heard from her application in the mail. She was accepted to go!
Over the next few months, Jenny worked really hard to earn the money. Finally, after delivering many papers on her paper route, having bake sales, and doing other odd jobs, plus money she had received as gifts, she had enough!
She was so excited when the day came to fly to Ukraine. Her mother dropped Jenny off at the airport, where she met up with Bro. and Sis. Masters and the rest of the group. As the huge plane took off she silently prayed, “Lord, I know this is what you want me to do. Please help me to let your love and grace shine through me so that I can reach someone for you.”

Dear Mom,
Wow! I can't believe I am actually here! We have been here a week and the time has just flown by! I suppose you want to know about everything that has happened. I thought we would never get here! I knew it was an eight hour time change before I came, but it really didn't hit me until I was on the plane how big the difference was.
When we landed at Keiv we got our luggage and then met the missionaries. Thankfully all of our luggage came through okay and we met up with the missionaries. I was so tired after being on an overnight flight and everything was so different!
We traveled six hours to the village where the missionaries are working. This past week we have had one Vacation Bible School. We spent each morning preparing for VBS and the revival services. Every day we told different Bible stories at VBS. I had to tell one about Naaman the leper, and it was really a different experience to tell a story through a translator!
We had lots of fun helping with crafts, playing with the kids, and listening to verses. We have had around 30 kids each day and several new kids have come. Several kids have raised their hands for prayer or to ask Jesus into their hearts.
The revival services in the evening have been very good. Bro. Paul Masters has preached through an interpreter also. The attendance of the adults and children at the evening services was not as many as the VBS, but I believe that some of the people were really touched.
We had a program for the Vacation Bible School on Sunday morning. Several of the kids' parents came to see what their kids had done. Each age group of the kids recited a verse, or sang a song. Then we did a silent skit about how the devil tempts us to do wrong things and Jesus is standing pleading with you not to do the wrong. It seemed like it got the point across and was really effective!
Bro. Paul gave a short gospel message after the kids were finished with the program.
Next week we are going to have another VBS in another village up by Keiv. We are going to have evening services and be doing some visitation and inviting people to the services. Please pray for us!
I can't wait you see you again but I so thankful to be useful in His kingdom! I should go and eat now, but I will try to email you later!
Love, Jenny
P. S. Please pray for a girl I met. Her name is Tanya and she knows some English. I would like to be able to talk to her more about the Lord.
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 16 – Beth A.

It was the August after Jenny went to Ukraine on a missions trip. Gordon and she had gone to the Peaceful Valley Holiness Youth Camp. On the drive home Gordon and Jenny had a lot to talk about.
Sixteen-year-old Jenny said, “To be honest, I am not looking forward to school that much. Every year as far back as I can remember there has been terrible peer pressure and teasing from my classmates and teachers. Of course the teachers had to teach us wrong things and principles such as evolution and humanism. Nearly everyday I would come home crying and talk to Mother or Dad about the things I had experienced that day. They would counsel and teach me the truth from God’s Word. I really don’t know why we ever were put in public school. It seems to me that Mother could have homeschooled us as my friend Jessie’s mom does. Oh, and remember earlier this year in March when the kids were making fun of me, and I talked to Mother, and she said to keep inviting them to church? - And then Melissa came to church and got saved. – Oh, I guess some things have been good about public school-like the opportunities to witness. But overall I’m not looking forward to starting school soon.” Jenny continued, “I just don’t know what to do. I don’t know whether or not Mother could home-school us this coming school year…”
“I know!” eighteen-year-old Gordon exclaimed, “We should ask Mother to home-school us this year. Maybe she couldn’t, but we could ask. I have had the same issues in my years of school.”
“But, why hasn’t she until now? I know that she must’ve had a good reason.”
“Jen, the past is the past and we can’t change it. But, we can ask Mother regarding the future,” Gordon replied understandingly. He asked Jenny to look at the map and remind him what road to take and then said, “So what did you think about camp?”
“I think it was really good for me to get away and rest, after all the stress of being in a different culture and language I couldn’t understand earlier this summer. I think it was good to have some time to concentrate on spiritual growth and develop some more friendships. One of the girls I met at camp, Erin Seymour, was such a blessing and encouragement to me. She was the cook’s daughter. Did you get to meet her?
“I think I saw her helping in the kitchen. How was she a blessing to you?”
“She advised me about things that I am going through. Because she is a few years older than me she has gone through some of the things I have. – But, not her dad dying. She gave me some reminders to keep looking to God in every area of my life, and especially in my teen years.”
“That’s good. Yeah, I have appreciated the times when I have been able to talk heart to heart to someone who can encourage me in my real life issues. Remember when dad died and I talked to Bro. Douglas and…”
Just then their cell phone rang. It was their Mother. Jenny put the phone on speakerphone. “Hi, how have you two been?” Mother asked.
“The trip has been fine. The camp was wonderful,” Gordon replied.
“We have missed talking to you, Mother,” Jenny said, “since we weren’t allowed to use cell phones unless it was an emergency. We really missed you and Jordon and Grace!”
“I want to have some time with you two tomorrow, so that we can talk privately. I will be having Mrs. Emerson come over and watch Jordon and Grace. I was thinking that we could go somewhere and talk,” Mother said.
“Ok, is it anything we need to know today?” Jenny asked, concern in her voice.
“No, just pray that we will have wisdom in the situations. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow.”
“All right, Mom,” Gordon said, “We’ll be praying about it.”
They said goodbye and hung up.
“I wonder what…” Jenny began.
“We said we would pray about it, so let’s just do that and not worry about it right now.” Gordon said.
Then they prayed, “...Lord, You know what this situation is. You have wisdom and the answer to the need. Please lead and guide according to Your will… And please help us when we talk to Mother about the possibility of home-schooling…”
When they got home they unpacked and told their family all about the camp. Gordon and Jenny showed some pictures to them and visited.
“What happened while we were gone?” Jenny wondered. “We didn’t get to talk to you that whole time and we really missed you.”
“Guess what? The night after you all left, our water heater leaked all over the floor in the basement. It was a mess!” nine-year-old Jordon exclaimed, “Bro. ­Douglas came and cleaned it up and put a new one in. I watched and asked questions. He was really fun to be with! And then he came over and we had supper with him to tell him ‘thank you’…”
“Well, we need to get to bed.” Mother interrupted. “We have all had a big day and I’m sure Gordon and Jenny are tired from their long drive.”
They had prayer and went to bed.
The next day, the Johnsons did their regular morning things.
In the afternoon Mrs. Emerson came over and Mother took Gordon and Jenny to the park in their town. They strolled down to the lake and sat down on a park bench. All was quiet, and there was hardly anybody else at the park.
“Well,” Mother started, “There have been a couple of things I have been considering and praying about for a long time. I wanted to talk to you two first about them.
“I feel like the Lord wants me to start home-schooling you now,” Mother said.
Jenny gasped, a smile at the corner of her mouth. How amazing that she would bring that up, when Gordon and I were talking about it just yesterday! she thought.
“I know that there have been a lot of things through the years that could have hurt you, and I think it is time to teach you myself. I have been researching and gaining information and help from some Christian home-schoolers near here. I know that you, Gordon, only have one year of school left and that Jenny only has two years left, but I think it would be worth it. I would home-school Jordon and Grace, too. What do you think?”
“We were just talking about that yesterday!” Jenny exclaimed, still awed by that fact. “I think it would be a big change, but I think it would be good. I have so many friends in public school like Ruthie, Ida, Melissa, and Kelly, who I’d really miss, but I have had so much trouble with bullies, that I think that is one thing that detracts from learning…”
“I would rather be in a Christian environment, and under the training of my Mother,” Gordon said. “Like Jen said it would be REALLY different and probably hard to get accustomed to.”
“Well, I want you two to pray with me about it for the next week, and then I’ll make a final decision.” Mother said. “I really love you and want the best for you. You were talking about it yesterday?”
“Yeah, just a little before you called and told us you wanted to have some time with us. We just said, to each other, that we wanted to ask you about it – if you could home-school us this coming year.” Jen explained
“Oh, Jenny, what about your goal of becoming a professional volleyball player?” Mother remembered. “Has that changed and how would that affect your desire to be home-schooled?” “I still enjoy playing volleyball,” Jenny started, “but, last year I felt like that extra activity kept me too busy. When I could be doing other things, I was playing volleyball. I think I need to spend less time at it.”
“Well, that’s not all I wanted to talk to you about,” Mother said, trying to figure out how to say what she needed to say next.
“What else?” Jenny’s curiosity was obvious.
“You all know Bro. Don Douglas in our church...” Mother started.
“Yes, Jordon said that he put in a new water heater for us this week,” Jenny remembered.
“He is a master plumber, so he seemed like the logical person to call when we had a disaster like that.
“I’m glad he could fix it for you, Mother,” Gordon said. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here to help.”
“He was such a blessing and he was really kind to Jordon, answering his questions as he worked. As Jordon mentioned, we had him over for a meal because he wouldn’t accept any payment for his services. We had a very pleasant evening. He played games with the kids. I think they really enjoyed that. We had time to visit, just the two of us, and he told me how much our family has been in his prayers since Daddy died. He felt like he could relate to what we have been through because of losing his wife to cancer five years ago. For some time he has been praying about the possibility of finding a new wife, and the only person who comes to mind, is me!”
“Mother! What did you say to that?” Jenny burst out. “Was he serious?”
“It did take me by surprise, Jenny, but I have every confidence that Bro. Douglas is a man of God. I think the Lord has been preparing my heart, too. I don’t know if it will work out that way, but I promised to pray about it, and I wanted you to know so that you could pray too.”
“Mother, isn’t he too old for you? Jenny wondered. “He has gray hair and has to be at least fifty!”
“He’s really only forty-six. He got gray hair when he was going through all that stress with Miriam’s ten year battle with cancer,” Mother answered.
“Mother, I don’t know if all of us are ready for something like this,” Gordon commented, “but I do know that Bro. Douglas has been a real big blessing to me since Dad died, and I know he cares about our family.”
“Mother, how do you feel about it? Did you enjoy being with him? Did you have fun with him?” Jenny asked.
“I did enjoy being with him. He is very kind and he has a gentle spirit. He is very spiritual and I think he would be a good spiritual leader. You know how his son and his family are missionaries in Papua New Guinea, so obviously he did something right in raising his son,” Mother answered.
“But, Mother how can you give up dad’s memory? It’s only been a year and a half since he died. Isn’t that being disloyal to Daddy?” Jenny questioned.
“Jenny, I loved your Daddy completely. We kept our vows to each other until death parted us. Daddy is in heaven with Jesus; he isn’t here anymore,” Mother answered. “Before Daddy went to Iraq we talked about the possibility of how he might not come back. He told me then: ‘If I go to heaven from Iraq and at sometime you have opportunity to marry a good Christian man, I don’t want you to hold back on account of it being disloyal to me. If I am not here to provide for you, I hope that God will give you another provider.’ In fact, Jenny, Daddy wrote that in a letter to me after he was in Iraq, so that I’d have it in writing.” Mother continued, “I don’t know where this will end with Bro. Douglas, but I am willing to give God a chance if he wants to lead that way.”
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 16 – Mary M.

Jenny was in her room thinking about her mother and Bro. Douglas. She thought to herself, “If Mother ever marries Bro. Douglas, will I ever be able to love him as I loved my own precious father?”
As she thought, she began to pray and ask God to help her understand all the changes in her life, and to help her love Bro. Douglas, if he did marry Mother. The Lord softly said, “Jenny, I will be with you at all times and comfort you, if you will only trust in Me.”
The words of the Lord assured Jenny that whatever came her way that God would help her handle it. Jenny’s mother started dating Bro. Douglas and Bro. Douglas kept coming to visit Jenny’s mother and the children. Jenny began to become very excited every time he would come. She could already tell that the Lord was helping her love and appreciate Bro. Douglas’s kindness to her family.
So Christmas Eve came. Jenny’s family always opened up one present on Christmas Eve. When Jenny’s mother opened her gift which was marked “Anonymous”, it was from Bro. Douglas. After she opened the gift and viewed what it was, Bro. Douglas proposed to her. They both had prayed through that God wanted them to be married.
So Jenny’s mother said, “Yes!”
Jenny retired to her bedroom after everybody was doing their own pleasures, and she knelt by her bed and praised the Lord for being just what He had promised. Jenny felt no resentment towards anyone. She felt happy because she had Jesus; also her Mother was happy in the Lord. Jordon and Gordon both were excited about their “new dad”. They all thanked the Lord for His divine leadership in their family’s life.
Copyright GGN