Friday, January 5, 2007

Jenny Age 15

Jenny Story Age 15 – Beth A. & Rowen A.

Jenny woke up at 6:22 Saturday morning to the sound of the phone ringing. Since Mother was not answering the phone Jenny answered and said, “Hello, Johnson’s residence.”
Mother’s voice on the phone said, “Jenny, this is Mother. I have gone to the Emerson’s house because they only have one car working right now and Mrs. Emerson took Mr. Emerson to work. I need to continue watching Steven, John Ethan, and Jeanette because of an accident that happened. She was driving home after dropping him off at work and her car was hit on the rear driver’s side. She is in the hospital getting X-rays and tests. So I came over here while you were still asleep to watch the kids. I am going to get them breakfast and get them all ready for the day, then I’ll bring them over there and they’ll spend part of the day with us. I want you to get yourself ready for the day and make sure Gordon is up. Get Jordon and Grace up, and make some breakfast.”
“O.K. Is that all you need me to do?” Jenny replied.
“Yes, that’s all. I’ll see you around 8:30. Love you,” Mother said.
“Love you too. Bye.”
‘Today is my birthday,’ Jenny thought to herself. ‘Now I’m 15! I have been sad about Daddy dying this year, but I know that he is with Jesus. The Lord has blessed me with a wonderful Mother, two brothers and a sister that are all blessings to me. Even if it is my birthday, I have a responsibility to fulfill right now.’
Jenny got dressed and woke up Gordon, Jordon, and Grace. The kids all had some breakfast. Then they had their personal devotions. “Today is Saturday, so we need to clean the house,” Jenny said to Gordon.
Then Mother came home with the Emerson children. They all did their regular Saturday chores as well as watching and playing with the children.
No one even said “Happy Birthday!” to Jenny all day and she was very tempted to feel sorry for herself. No one noticed that it was her special day, until Gordon, when looking at the calendar noticed this written, ‘Jenny, 15th Birthday’. ‘That’s today!’ he thought and went to tell Jenny ‘Happy Birthday’.
“Thank you,” she said.
“Why didn’t you remind us? We have been too busy today to even notice! I am very sorry, Jen,” said her brother lovingly.
Then he went to Mother and reminded her that it was Jenny’s birthday.
“I forgot,” Mother said. “I have a letter to give her from Daddy and a few little gifts for her. She will be so pleased when she reads this letter from Daddy.”
Mother got everyone together. They sang “Happy Birthday!” and she opened her gifts. “Thank you all for these wonderful gifts,” Jenny said.
Last of all Mother said, “Jenny, I really appreciate your wonderful attitude today. Even though we all forgot to make this a special day for you, you did not get frustrated at all, and you were very sweet. We all love you. I have been saving you the best gift for last. Here is a letter from your daddy.”
She gave Jenny a hug and the letter. “Thank you, Mother, and all of you,” Jenny replied.
Jenny went to room to read the letter. As she opened it she read on the envelope: To my sweet daughter, Jennifer Rachelle, to be read on her 15th birthday, with love from Daddy. Jenny swallowed a lump in her throat as a tear trickled down her cheek. She held in her hand a letter from her father who had died five months ago in “Operation Iraqi Freedom”. When Pete Johnson was sent to Iraq he realized that there was some possibility that he might die. So, he wrote each of his children a long, precious letter as well as several for his wife. If he was alive and well at the time of their birthdays he would send it to them. The army had sent everything of Sergeant Johnson’s to Jenny’s family when he died including all of the letters (except Gordon’s 17th birthday letter which had already been sent). Mother had saved Jenny’s to give to her on her birthday. Here’s what the letter said:

My Dearest Jenny,
I am writing this to you, knowing that I won’t be able to be with you on your 15th birthday. So, sweetheart, Happy Birthday today! I trust that you will have a great day, as you realize how much each one of us loves you and appreciates how you are such a blessing in our family! I am so grateful that you gave your heart and life to our Lord Jesus, and for the way that you have let Him lead you as you have had daily private devotions. It has been a blessing to watch as your spirit has become sweet, your words filled with His love, and you have sweetly taken on many responsibilities in our family. I love and appreciate you, Jenny!
I regret this time that I have to spend away from my beloved family, especially as you, your brothers, and dear little Grace are growing up so fast! I trust that this war will be won soon, and I’ll be able to be home again to stay. If the Lord wills though, that I not make it home… I have some advice for you.
I remember when I was 15, that the world seemed big and exciting, with many adventures to enjoy. I thought life was endless, and everybody and everything was wonderful. As I lived through my teen years, and then my college years, I began to realize that all of those things can only be true if we surrender our lives to Jesus, and live daily to serve Him, and be used by Him. Without Jesus, people’s lives are empty and useless – and sad. Mother and I established our home on Christ, and have tried to train you children to love the things of God and His Kingdom, to seek salvation and live only for Him. So now I want to encourage you to continue to seek God’s will, and God’s way for each step of your life. You can be a tremendous help to Mother, especially when I’m not there. You must be a Christian example to your brothers and sister, in your good attitudes, words, and actions. They look up to you, as they should! You are a fantastic sister!
Jenny dear, keep up with your studies, and your piano practice - I love to hear you practice – it is such a blessing in our home! Someday you’ll be the church pianist, and you’ll be glad that you practiced well. Always obey your Mother, even when it doesn’t seem to make sense. Choose your friends wisely, they can either help you or hurt you. Remember to listen, more than you speak. Spend time with the Lord Jesus everyday, no matter what joys or sorrows life brings – He understands every care, and wants to help you through the difficult times.
Proverb 3:5, 6 “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
Memorize these verses, and the Lord will use them to sustain you and keep you steady during times of temptation and times when people make fun of you, and even during times of deep grief. The Lord has great things in mind for your life, Jenny, and I have confidence that you will serve Him well.
I love you, and I miss you on this your 15th birthday,
Love, Daddy
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 15 – Mary C.

“Anti-peace and pro-war that’s what Jenny Johnson’s for!”
The words cut deep as fifteen-year-old Jenny walked home from the library. Jenny wanted to run. But if she did, she knew it would only make them chase her, and she definitely didn’t want Mama to hear those words.
When Jenny got home; she ran to the kitchen, and setting her books on the table, she burst into tears.
“Why Jenny, what’s wrong?” Mama said as she turned from watering the flowers in the kitchen window.
“I wish they’d stop, Mama. I wish they’d stop!” cried Jenny.
“Wish who would stop, Jenny?” asked Mama.
“It’s Marsha, and Stephanie, and Wilma, the new girls in town. They’re making fun of me-saying that I’m anti-peace and pro-war. Don’t they know the Papa died in ‘Operation Iraqi Freedom’ so that they could have the freedom to say that? And that they should be doing all they can to protect freedoms here for our soldiers when they come home? I’m sorry, Mama. I shouldn’t be crying over this.”
“Yes, you should, Jenny. Crying helps you heal. Even Papa cried, and he was the bravest man I know,” Mama said.
“Mama,” Jenny said, “Do you know of anything I can do that will make the girls stop teasing me?”
“Be kind to them, Jenny. Show them that you care for them even if they are mean. It may take awhile, even years, but it will work. I can guarantee that,” Mama answered.
“Thank you, Mama. I feel better now,” Jenny said.

A week later, while Jenny and her older brother Gordon, who was 17, were fishing at the lake, Jenny heard someone crying.
After asking Gordon to hold her pole, Jenny followed the sound. At the bottom of the rocky hill Gordon and she had climbed down thirty minutes ago, Jenny saw Wilma, sitting on the ground crying, with her twisted bike lying beside her.
Jenny ran back to Gordon and told him what she had found. Then both of them, taking their fishing poles with them, went back to Wilma.
When they got there, Wilma said in surprise, “Jenny! Why are you helping me? I don’t deserve it!”
“It doesn’t matter if you deserve it or not, Wilma, you need it,” Jenny said.
“Come on,” said Gordon, “No time for talk! It looks like her foot is broken. Do you want to help Wilma, Jenny, or do you want to carry the bike?”
“I’ll help Wilma,” Jenny answered. “There’s a low spot in the hill to our left. We can take Wilma up that way,” Gordon said.

That Sunday, just before services started, Wilma, who was on crutches, Stephanie, and Marsha came in and sat down beside Jenny.
“We decided to come and see what made you so different from us,” said Marsha.
“Yes, and we won’t make fun of you any more, because we won’t leave here until we have got whatever it is that you have.”
“Oh, Jenny,” Wilma said, as the music was starting, “Thank you for helping me Tuesday, and thank Gordon for fixing my bike. It works just like new!”
“You’re welcome,” Jenny said with a smile. Jenny’s heart was full of joy and she knew that if Papa were here he would be very proud of her.
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 15 – Beth A. & Janet A.

Mother and I were going to go shopping for groceries in a nearby town. Seventeen-year-old Gordon was staying home with 8-year-old Jordon and 5-year-old Grace. I had been wondering about something for a while, and decided to ask Mother about it while we were alone together.
“Mother,” I began, “May I ask you something?”
“Sure,” she replied. “I have been wondering lately why there is such a big gap of years between Jordon and me?”
At this question, Mother looked troubled.
“Mother, did anything significant happen in those years?”
“Yes,” she answered. I watched her, as she looked back in time.
“Two years after you were born, we were expecting another baby. It was a girl, but she was born prematurely. She had some very bad health problems because of this, and she died two weeks after she was born.”
“What was her name?” I asked. “And when was she born?”
“We named her Janessa Lea. She was born June 5th and went to heaven on June 18th.” Mother had a thoughtful look on her face.
“Why didn’t you ever tell us—or talk about it?” I wanted to know.
“Gordon has known about Janessa because he was four years old when it happened and can remember parts of it. I guess we didn’t really want you to have to deal with it when you were young. I have a book of pictures and memories of Janessa I can show you when we get home,” Mother offered.
“Mother, almost all of my life on June 5th we have done something special as a family. Is Janessa the reason for it?”
“Yes, Jen. Throughout the hard time and after the funeral we had for Janessa, your dad and I did a lot of thinking. First of all we thought about how any of us could die anytime. James 4:14(b) says ‘For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away’. Although we had already thought through our responsibility as parents to teach and train our children to love God, Janessa’s very short life reminded us of the importance of our mission. So as a memorial to Janessa and as a reminder of our mission we did something special every year on her birthday. The things we’ve done together also helped your dad and me to value each of our treasures in a special way.”
I smiled at that. “I don’t remember anything about Janessa; I wish I could have known her. Those words you just said though, and the thought of the shortness of life are very important to me right now because of Daddy’s recent death,” I commented, and then asked another question.
“Did you have any problems with bitterness during that time, Mother?” By now we had arrived at the store, but we still sat in the car.
“Jenny, there will always be times of temptation to bitterness. I thought I couldn’t bear to lose my baby, but there were so many things wrong with her that I knew she couldn’t live on this earth. Even breathing was a struggle for her every moment and that was hard to watch. I was relieved that she could go to be with Jesus and not have to suffer any more. I was glad we got to have her for a few days, and it was hard to let her go, but we knew it was best for her. Anytime when something bad happened, your daddy and I had made it a practice to think of what was good and count our blessings. We still had Gordon and you, so that was two blessings. We were young and the doctor thought we could have other healthy children. We had each other. We had one treasure in heaven already. Our church family and our families were very supportive and helpful and we counted them as great blessings.
“Heaven has always been very real because of knowing Janessa is there waiting for us. Now with your daddy gone to heaven too, heaven is even sweeter to look forward to. Of course, God held us in His arms of comfort then, just like He did when your daddy died. Yes, the devil, and sometimes even well-meaning people will tempt us to bitterness when hard things happen, but we can remember how much God loves us, how wise He is, and how He knows what is best. I have prayed many times, ‘Lord, help me not be bitter, but BETTER.’ He has always answered that prayer.”
I found that tears were running down my face and mother’s face. I hugged Mother and held her tightly.
“Thank you, Mother, for telling me about Janessa. Thank you for not getting bitter over it and for sharing your wisdom with me. I want to be a godly woman and mother like you are when I grow up.”
“Jenny, dear, right now you are growing into a godly woman. Always keep tender to the Lord and obedient to His whispers and to His Word. Life will not be easy, but God will build into your life His strength under pressure. He is trustworthy, even when we don’t understand what He is doing. He has the plan that will be best for your life. Always trust Him.”
We wiped our eyes and smiled at each other. This was a time with Mother I would treasure all of my life. “Lord, make me a woman of faith like my mother,” I prayed.
Copyright GGN


Jenny Story Age 15 – Beth A. & Janet A.

As fifteen-year-old Jenny stood in the checkout line with her brother, Gordon, she watched the shoppers in front of her. She always liked to watch how people acted, figure out if they were related to the people they were with, etc. She also made a practice of praying for people who seemed to have special needs. In front of her today was a man holding a 2-year-old, a woman pushing the cart with a baby in the seat, and a grandma who was using a walking stick. Seeing it was almost her turn, Jenny set the package of 10 Hershey bars on the conveyer belt, and nervously fumbled in her purse to get the $20 bill out for paying for the merchandise. She didn’t often buy stuff, so she was always tense as she waited to pay. Just then, Jenny heard a commotion as a large glass jar of baby pickles fell to the floor. She backed up to avoid the sticky pickle juice and closed her purse. She was in a daze as the clerk spoke to Gordon and her, “I’m going to have to ask you to go to another lane to check out.”
“All right,” Gordon responded as the clerk asked for a janitor over the P.A. system. They started towards another lane. As she walked, Jenny was surprised to feel something on her shoe.
She looked down to see a pickle wedged between the tongue of her shoe and her sock. “Ugh!” she said picking it up. “What shall I do with this? Oh, no, it stained my sock!” She found a trash can and wiped her hand on a tissue that was in her purse. “Well,” Jen smiled at Gordon, “I wonder how many crazy things can happen involving us on one shopping spree!? Let’s go try to check out again!” she said teasingly.
Jenny asked Gordon to go first in line. He was also buying a birthday gift for their mom. Finally, Jenny could buy the chocolate for her mom. She felt like she was forgetting something. Ok, think clearly, Jenny, she told herself. She managed to get done and told the clerk “Thank you,” looking her in the eye. She didn’t want to hold up the people behind her taking the time to count the change and make sure it was all correct, so she put the money in her skirt pocket.
When they got into their car, Jenny got the money out of her pocket and looked at the receipt to see if it was all accurate. The total said $10.67. The chocolates had been $10 and the tax $0.67. She looked at the money and knew immediately that there was a problem. She had given the clerk a $20 bill, and had gotten back $14.33!
“Oh, no!” She exclaimed to Gordon. “They gave me a $10 bill in my change when it should have been a $5 bill! What shall we do?”
“I guess we’ll have to go in to the service desk and take the extra money back,” Gordon stated matter-of-factly. “Do you want me to come with you?”
“Of course I want you to come. You know how nervous I get dealing with money and explaining things to strangers.”
Gordon and Jenny went back in the store and stood in the long line at the service counter. Jenny prayed silently that the Lord would help her take care of this problem properly.
When her turn finally came, Jenny took a deep breath and said, “I just checked out a few minutes ago, but I was given $5 too much in change.”
The clerk took the receipt Jenny was holding out and Jenny gave her all the change from her pocket. Jenny felt like everybody in line was watching her. The clerk counted the money and nodded. “You are right! You were given $5 too much. I wonder why that happened?”
Jenny said, “Maybe the clerk was distracted because of the pickle jar crash that had happened in the next lane over. It was quite a mess!”
“I am sorry for the inconvenience to you, but I am thankful for your honesty, young lady! A lot of people would have kept the money instead of being honest. Thank you so much.” The clerk gave Jenny back the appropriate amount of change and smiled brightly at her.
“I always want to have a clear conscience,” Jenny replied. “Wouldn’t it be terrible to miss heaven because of dishonesty?”
As Jenny and Gordon walked away, the clerk and the next people in line who had heard the exchange had new thoughts to think about. Jenny told Gordon, “I really felt God helping me say the right things. He helped me be calm. Thanks for going with me, Gordon.”
“Proud to be of service, Little Sister!” Gordon took her arm and escorted her to the car. She playfully slapped him as he gallantly opened the door with a flourish!