Jenny Story Age 12 – Beth A.
As the Johnson family was having their Bible reading time on the morning of December 25, the pastor of a church in a distant town called.
“Hello. Yes, this is Bro. Johnson,” Jenny’s dad answered the phone. “Yes, at our exit? Okay I think I can do that. All right, talk to you later. Bye.”
After Dad got off the phone he said, “The neighbors of Bro. Dolton’s (the Wiles) are having car trouble. They are at our town’s exit ramp. They have 2 boys and a baby girl. Bro. Dolton just asked me if we could let them stay here today and try to help them fix their car.”
“But what about how we were going to have Uncle James and Aunt Emma here for Christmas dinner?” twelve-year-old Jenny asked.
“Well, if you help me, we can have the Wiles, and James and Emma here for dinner,” Mother said. “Bro. Dolton has requested prayer for the Wiles before when we have visited his church. They need the Lord. Maybe we will have an opportunity to witness to them.”
Gordon and Dad went in their van to pick up Mr. and Mrs. Wile. Meanwhile Jenny and Mother started preparing dinner.
As Dad invited the Wiles in he introduced the family, “This is Keith, Paula, John, Hunter, and Baby Ida.” Jenny looked at each member of the family and fixed their name in her mind.
Keith Wile was kind of creepy looking, with a pony-tail and rough face. Paula, the mom, had messy hair and sad eyes. The boys probably ages four and five, looked like they were wild. Jenny thought, “Jesus, help us to love them like You do. You love this family very much. Help us to lead them to You.”
Dad knew a lot about cars and how to fix them and had some supplies. Dad tried to find a tow-truck that would tow on Christmas Day. Then he remembered his acquaintance across town who had a mechanics shop and gave him a call.
“Hello. This is Pete Johnson. I have someone here whose car is broken down at Exit 113. I was wondering if you could help us. I wouldn’t expect you to give up your Christmas to help fix it, I was just wondering if you could pick up the car and bring it here. Yes, I looked at the car when I went to pick the family up and I think I have the stuff I need to fix it. Okay. Thanks. Bye.”
Mr. Simmons towed the car for them and brought it to the Johnsons’ so Pete and Keith could work on it.
“Have you eaten this morning?” Mother asked.
When they answered “no,” Mother offered them sandwiches.
Mother had Jenny make sandwiches for them. Jenny, Jordon, and Grace played with the Wile boys, while Paula took care of Ida and watched Mother in the kitchen. The Johnsons did whatever they could to be a blessing to Keith, Paula, and the children.
At noon Uncle James and Aunt Emma came over for dinner with their two children. As they ate dinner, the conversation was about God’s hand of love in each person’s life and the gift of Jesus at Christmas. Uncle James and Aunt Emma were Christians and were able to show God’s love to the Wiles.
After dinner when Aunt Emma was talking to Paula, she said, “God loves you and me very much. He loves each one so much that He wants to have a personal relationship with us. But our sin has separated us from God. He made a way for us to come back to Him, by sending His Son Jesus to die for our sin. If we are sorry for our sin and ask Him to forgive us for our sin He will save us, then we will have a personal relationship with Him.”
Paula listened intently to the Good News that Aunt Emma had to share with her. But she put off getting right with God.
In the afternoon, Jenny used her Bible flannel-graph set to tell John and Hunter the CHRISTmas story. Dad got the car fixed and the Wiles were on their way home by evening. Although the Johnsons did not see an immediate effect, some months later they heard from Pastor Dolton that the Wiles had come to know Jesus as Savior.
Copyright GGN
Jenny Story Age 12 – Elizabeth C.
“Jenny,” her father called, “I want you to come down here, please.”
“Coming,” answered 12-year-old Jenny as she ran down the stairs. “Yes?”
“Come sit down by me,” he said. “I want to talk to you all. I have prayed about it and have decided to join the army.”
“Oh, Daddy,” cried Jenny.
“That is what I want to talk to you about. I want all of us to have our own prayer meeting. If any of you are not saved or just want to tell me or your mother something, you are more than welcome to do so.”
Jenny was crying by then.
“Mother and Daddy, will you please pray with me?”
“Of course,” said Father. After they were through praying, Father said, “I have to leave in a couple of weeks, but now I know that if I die, I will meet my whole family in heaven.”
“How long will you be gone? asked Gordon.
“I don’t know,” said Father.
The day came when Father had to leave. First, he hugged Mother, then Gordon, then Jenny. “Keep God first and obey your Mother.”
Then he hugged Jordon and then little Grace.
He said, “I want all of you to know that I love you and will keep God first. And I will pray for you every day. You will each find something for you on your beds. I will see you again in heaven if not on earth. I love you.” And he was gone.
When Jenny went inside she found a beautiful Bible on her bed. She made herself a promise that she would learn to accept the change and read her Bible every day.
Copyright GGN
Jenny Story Age 12 – Audrey S.
Jenny thought she had everything going for her. She was doing well in school; she had a few close friends. She was happy. Then all that changed. She was walking down the hallway at school when her friend, Ruthie, ran up breathless and crying.
“What’s wrong?” Jenny asked, concerned about her friend.
“My parents told me…last night…oh, Jenny, we’re moving away!” Ruthie said trying to catch her breath.
Jenny stood there, stunned by what her dear friend had just said. “Why?”
“My dad’s company decided to move him to another branch.”
“Where are you moving to?” Jenny asked.
“Texas.”
“No. That’s so far away. I can’t believe you’re moving,” Jenny said starting to cry. But then she thought of something. “You know Ruthie, I’m going to pray that they keep your dad here. God still answers prayer. Right?” she said wiping away her tears.
“Hey, that may work. You’re right. God does answer prayer,” Ruthie said. “I’m going to pray the same thing.” The bell rang, interrupting their conversation.
"Gotta go. Call me later,” Jenny said hurriedly, not wanting to miss her class.
“I will.”
Later that day Jenny knelt beside her bed to say her prayers. “Dear God, Thank you for this day and all that you have given me. Thank you for my family and my friends. God please keep Ruthie here. I don’t want her to go. Make her dad’s company change their mind about moving him. Please. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.” Jenny got up and climbed into bed feeling confident that God would answer her prayer.
A few weeks passed and Jenny learned that Ruthie’s family was to move at the end of the month. Before she knew it, it was the night before they were to leave. Jenny found herself in her bedroom prayers: “God I don’t understand. I prayed that you would keep Ruthie’s family here. They’re still leaving tomorrow. I thought you still answered prayer.” She got into bed feeling hurt. All her life she had been told that God answered prayer. She had prayed and God had not answered.
The next day she and her mom were in Ruthie’s driveway saying goodbye. ” Ruthie, I can’t believe you’re still leaving. I’ll never see you again,” Jenny said tearfully.
"Oh, come on. You and I will still visit. And there’s always e-mail.”
”Promise you’ll write?” Jenny asked.
“Of course. As long as you do,” Ruthie promised.
“Of course I’ll write,” Jenny said promising as well.
“Ruthie, we’ve got to leave now,” her mom called.
“I’ll be just a second,” she called back.
“I’ll miss you but you’ll always be my friend,” Ruthie said.
“I hope so. I’ll miss you too.”
“Goodbye.”
Jenny started crying. “Goodbye.” Then Ruthie got in the car, waved, and they left.
Jenny got in their car and buckled her seatbelt while her mom got in. There was silence as they drove away. Suddenly Jenny spoke, breaking the silence. ”I prayed, Mom. I prayed that God would keep them here. Why? Why didn’t he answer?” she asked.
”Jenny, God doesn’t always answer our prayers our way. Sometimes He answers them in a completely different way. But God always answers them with the best interest in mind,” her mom replied.
“But how is Ruthie moving away the best thing?” Jenny asked.
“I don’t really know. We may never know. But always remember, Jenny, God always answers prayer. Always.” Jenny thought about that for a while and she started to understand. It was hard for her. Her best friend was gone. But now she was at peace with the fact. After that she started to pray differently. She prayed for God’s will instead of her own.
A few weeks later Jenny was standing in the hallway at school when a girl walked up. “Hi. My name is Mandie, and I’m new here. I thought maybe we could be friends,” the girl said.
Jenny smiled. “You know, I’d like that. I’d like that a lot.”
Copyright GGN
Monday, January 8, 2007
Jenny Age 12
Posted by
Beth
at
3:42 PM