Jenny Story Age 13 – Beth A.
“The church picnic this afternoon is going to be lots of fun,” Jenny thought. “It starts at 4 o’clock. I better get these other things done on time, so that I can get ready to go.”
The ringing phone interrupted her thoughts and brought her back to the math lesson that she was working on.
Later, her brother, Gordon, said, “Have you heard?”
“What?” she asked and looked at Mother.
“Mrs. Emerson, from across the street, just called and wants you to baby-sit the twins, while she takes Steven to the doctor,” Mother answered. Steven was four.
“What time?” thirteen year old Jenny asked.
“From 1:30 to whenever they get back from the doctor appointment.”
“Okay.”
At 1:28 Jenny went to the Emersons’ house. “I am planning to go to a picnic this afternoon at 4 o’clock. Do you think you’ll be back by then?” Jenny asked.
“I should be back before that, and then you can go to the picnic,” Mrs. Emerson replied and handed Jenny a five dollar bill.
All went fine. Jenny played with the one year old twins, gave them a snack, and put them down for a nap. By 4:00 Mrs. Emerson had not come home. The twins, John Ethan and Jeanette, were sound asleep. Jenny wondered to herself if Mrs. Emerson would be coming soon.
“The children are totally asleep, so I could probably go to the picnic, and soon Mrs. Emerson will come home with Steven. I might just do that, because she said that they wouldn’t be gone long.” Jenny walked across the street to her house and thought about the babies and the picnic. She imagined all the terrible things that could possibly happen to the babies while she was gone: they might wake up and be scared and do something dangerous, what if the house started to burn and they wouldn’t be able to escape, what if...
Across town Jenny heard a fire truck that seemed to be coming this way! “No. This isn’t right of me. I am going to go back to their house and take care of them,” Jenny said determinedly. “People are of more value than picnics or anything else.”
When she got there John Ethan and Jeanette were awake and crying. They were wondering if they had been left alone.
She held them and sat in the rocking chair singing to them and saying, “I’m sorry I left you here all alone. You are of much more worth than a picnic.”
They were comforted to know that someone was there and was taking care of them. After a few minutes Mrs. Emerson and Steven came in.
“Thank you so much for staying with the children. I’m sorry we’re late. The doctor had several emergencies come up, so we had to wait a long time.”
“Well, for a few minutes I left the house and was thinking of going to the picnic. But the Lord showed me all the bad things that might happen to the twins while I was gone; so I came back. I learned that people are of much more value than picnics and pleasure. I would be happy to stay longer if you need to take care of Steven without having to watch the twins,” Jenny volunteered. “Thanks for offering, but I’d like to let you go to your picnic now. Here are 2 more dollars.” Mrs. Emerson said gratefully.
“Thank you!” Jenny smiled and said good-byes to the children. Jenny had a wonderful time with her friends at the picnic.
Copyright GGN
Sunday, January 7, 2007
Jenny Age 13
Posted by
Beth
at
3:45 PM